We are excited to announce that Katie Montgomery is our June 2015 Athlete of the Month!!
Katie started with us about five months ago and has made a huge mind and body transformation in that time.Initially, Katie messaged us for more information, mentioned she was 38 years old, 5’7” and 210 lbs. She said she exercised in the past, but not much the past few years as she has two small children. Katie started with our 3x per week membership and after a couple months she was feeling more confident in herself and the movements and moved to unlimited training.
Get to know Katie Montgomery:
- Why did you choose CrossFit? Honestly, I was experimenting when I chose CrossFit, and saw the CrossFit Thunderbolt sign. I wanted something challenging and interesting.
- What inspires you? Honestly, it depends on the day. Sometimes my family, other members and coaches. Often I’m inspired of my future self. Cheesy I know, but helps me work harder.
- Favorite WOD (Workout Of the Day) so far? Being done with any WOD? Ha, ha. Hard to say….400meter run and toes to bar. I scaled down the run, but I always feel accomplished when I pace with good intensity, and I remember that WOD feeling good.
- Favorite lift so far? Power clean, not my heaviest, but satisfying and I think I do it pretty well.
- What surprised you about CrossFit? My mindset towards myself and athletics/self-esteem/confidence/weight-loss has improved dramatically. I look back over the past 6 months and I ask myself. “How did that happen”? I feel transformed! Besides my own work, I credit the awesome coaches!! . My transformation feels surprising and is definitely something to get used to (in a good way). I feel like I could say a ton more but I’ll stop there.
- Interesting fact about you? I don’t know what’s the most interesting, but here are a few facts. I’m the youngest of 5 kids, and once upon a time I used to be pretty skilled at ceramics and painting.
- “So Ana complimented me today saying I was looking skinnier. I smiled and said I was 2-3 lb to being under 200.It’s just SO FUNNY that under 200 used to be my goal for decent health (and looks for that matter). Now it just seems like a drop in the bucket!!Anyway, thanks for helping elevate my expectations for myself!! Your both are great coaches.” – Katie
- “Just a quick note to say tried on a SIZE 12 pants today. SIZE 12!! 3 sizes down. Totally crazy! It’s actually really weird, but I’ll get used to it!”
Katie is also a member of our “Founder’s Club” which includes Nutrition Journaling and Coaching. Here are a few stats and journal entries to give you a glimpse into some of the ups and downs Katie had along the way. Katie recorded her food in an online journal for 4 months, with a total of approximately 120 journal entries with Coaching and guidance on each entry:
- Katie: A comment while she was in Chicago…”so decisions good, others less so. BUT, I learned from most bad ones, and had fun!!! Happy Sunday!!”
- Katie: “So my journals have been slipping I think. I have a multitude of explanations, but the bottom line is the small things are the big things. I continue to have self-esteem issues about succeeding at getting fit. Which I think I will fade as I succeed, but sometimes it’s an emotional fight when I eat, etc., etc…”
- Coach Justin: “Lunch and dinner = excellent choices!!…don’t beat yourself up if every meal isn’t ideal…the back and forth communication is a big part of your “mental game”. This is something you still need. Nothing I hear/see is scaring me. It’s all pretty normal. The value of journaling is in life-changing habits…AND you are learning how to fuel the one and only body you have…correctly.”
Katie’s stats (started tracking 1 month after starting):
- Waist- dropped 1.5 inches 34.5 to 33.5
- Hips-dropped 7 inches from 47 to 40
- Arms-15.5 to 14 (1.5 inches lost)
- Chest-41.5 to 40 (1.5 down).
- Thigh-29.75 to 28 (1.75 down)
- Total weight loss of 30 lbs.
Katie isn’t done yet and she’s still on her journey, still working hard despite aches and pains, still fueling her body the best she can with a family of two children to care for, still becoming better every day and leading by example. She even got her husband Jason, who she said never works out, to join CrossFit Thunderbolt. Thanks for being such an inspiration to all Katie, keep up the good work!